Saturday, June 8, 2013

Not Claiming the Hero Title, but...

I recently read an article on CNET.com that struck a chord with me. It was about Nextdoor.com, a social networking website designed specifically for local neighborhoods.

As I read more and researched the website, a feeling built in me that this was a good thing. Good enough that I wanted to help make it a success in my neighborhood. That feeling came from a long held realization that our local neighborhoods are becoming less and less connected, less known to each of us

At the time, I was searching for a project to do for the High Performance Leadership Project requirement in my Toastmasters Educational Program. Nextdoor Neighborhoods seemed ready made for that. However, although it had already been founded on a trial basis, it was languishing with only 4 members out of 10 required to successfully found the neighborhood. And, it was in the last 5 days of its 30-day trial period.

I saw that my first step was to ensure that the neighborhood was made permanent. Over the next few days I visited neighbors and contacted those who had previously shown an interest but had not joined. I am pleased to say that, by the end of the trial period, we had 14 members and became a permanent Nextdoor Neighborhood. (We currently have 30 members!)

Then, I started the HPL process, which includes assignments that will be familiar to all PMs. Those assignments include: Learning About Leadership, Choosing Your Objective, Winning Commitment to Your Objective, Working the Plan and Analyzing and Presenting Your results.

So far, I've completed the first 2 assignments, including making an initial presentation to my Poway Black Mountain Toastmasters Club a couple of weeks ago. (I won a ribbon for Best Speaker!)  You can review the presentation here: Nextdoor Central Rancho Bernardo Project Presentation.

I'm just now beginning the Initial Planning of the project, although I do have some rough idea of what I'll be doing. Some of what will be required are:

  • recruit neighbors to be a part of my team
  • complete the project planning process
  • win the commitment of team members to that plan
  • use the plan to spread the word about Nextdoor Central Rancho Bernardo
  • build out membership to be a signifcant percentage of the total residents of the neighborhood
I am excited about this project. It gives me a chance to both complete an assignment that I need to do for Toastmasters and to complete a project that will benefit my neighborhood.

Oh, and if you explore Nextdoor.com for yourself and find that your neighborhood has not yet been founded, ask me for a referral. Currently, Nextdoor.com will give a $50.00 Starbucks card to both of us. 

What a deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment